Mrs. Hill’s practice focuses on the areas of education/public school law, employment law and general litigation. Dana counsels and advises educational entities and their officials on various matters, including, student discipline, personnel management, Title IX compliance, policy development, board governance, safety and security measures, special education issues, and employment discrimination laws. Dana currently serves as general and special counsel to several Alabama boards of education and has represented nearly twenty other local school districts in both circuit court and federal district court, as well as on appeal to the Alabama appellate courts and the Eleventh Circuit. Throughout her tenure as a school lawyer, Dana has successfully defended her clients in obtaining multiple case dismissals and summary judgment rulings.
- Obtaining ruling from the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals upholding the board of education’s termination of a teacher after school surveillance footage showed the teacher pushing a student against the wall
- Obtaining mandamus relief from the Alabama Supreme Court and overruling circuit court’s denial of immunity for a school board, its board members and an elementary school teacher.
- Securing early dismissal of age discrimination claim brought by employee against a board of education in federal district court
- Obtaining favorable ruling from the Eleventh Circuit affirming district court’s entry of summary judgment for the school district, its superintendent, and two administrators on discrimination claims brought by a student alleging her same-sex teacher had sexually harassed her.
- Securing dismissal of parent’s wrongful death case brought in state court against a board of education, its board members and other school officials
Cumberland School of Law, Samford University
Birmingham, Alabama, J.D.
Merit Scholarship Recipient
Scholar of Merit, Women & the Law
Cordell Hull Teaching Fellowship, Legal Research & Writing
Alabama State University
Montgomery, Alabama, B.S., summa cum laude
Presidential Scholarship Recipient
Honors & Awards
Alabama Rising Stars®, by Thomson Reuters – School and Education Law (2010)
ALABAMA STATE BAR
Leadership Forum, Class IV, Member
Diversity in the Profession Committee
BENCH AND BAR ADVISORY COMMITTEE,
U.S. DISTRICT COURT OF NORTH ALABAMA
ALABAMA COUNCIL OF SCHOOL BOARD ATTORNEYS
Board of Directors (2011-2013)
NATIONAL SCHOOL BOARD ASSOCIATION, COUNCIL OF SCHOOL ATTORNEYS
SHELBY COUNTY BAR
BIRMINGHAM BAR ASSOCIATION
AMERICAN BAR ASSOCIATION
GIRLS INCORPORATED OF CENTRAL ALABAMA
Personnel Committee (2010-2013)
Board of Directors (2008-2014)
Committee of 25 (2005-2008) Junior Board Member,